Linode is seeking a seasoned engineer who is passionate about security and truly understands how to protect both our customer’s and Linode’s data. The ideal candidate will have a passion for cybersecurity, system monitoring, analysis, and developing/automating creative solutions. In this role, you’ll be on the front lines of security audits, risk analysis, and vulnerability testing in all areas of Linode with the number one priority of customer protection. We expect you to have a mindset of being methodically paranoid and curious, and continue to hone your skills to align the security risk management with business objectives.
You’ll be backed by Linode’s CISO, leadership team, and a cross-functional team of skilled engineers in IT, engineering, and operations from a variety of perspectives, all working with a singular focus of maintaining our customer’s trust. You’ll be exposed to the reality of how Linode functions on a technical and process level and will build a comprehensive base of knowledge around how it all works together. In doing so, you’ll be playing a role in helping keep Linode secure and compliant, bringing security compliance findings to these teams and contributing to raising the security bar across the company.
An ideal addition to the security team has experience handling many aspects related to information security but a finely honed skill set of risk assessment, policy management, and process improvement. As candidates will serve as advocates for improving the security posture of the entire company, we are seeking individuals who have experience applying security controls to network, virtual and physical assets while managing the risks of a primarily virtualized cloud infrastructure. We expect you to have a mindset of being methodically paranoid and curious, and continue to hone your skills to align the security risk management with business objectives.
- Perform technical security assessments, code audits, and design reviews.
- Develop technical solutions to help mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Advocate for security and secure practices throughout Linode.
- Conduct research to identify new attack vectors against Linode’s products and services.
- Be involved in offensive security exercises.
- Implement automation of vulnerability scanning and detection
- Build and deploy automation for monitoring our infrastructure, application, and network
- Assist in the development and enforcement of security policies and best practices
- Mentor the entire Linode team on security best practices
- Evaluate and recommend new and emerging security products and technologies
- Mitigate abusive activities such as botnets, DDoS, and spamming
- Live and breathe all things security and be an advocate for customer trust and privacy protection
- Instill a secure-by-design culture throughout the entire company by educating security best practices using effective principle-based persuasion techniques.
- 5+ years of system, network, and/or application security experience, preferably with large, distributed systems
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, and networking concepts
- Experience with penetration testing and vulnerability scanning tools such as Kali Linux
- Experience with ethical hacking framework and processes
- Experience with TCP/IP, packet analysis, and iptables
- Strong communication skills to work with both collaborative cross-functional team of peers and departments within the company (product development, operations, networking, etc.)
- Experience in automation of tasks through scripting or programming with Bash, Python, Perl, etc
- Understanding and familiarity with the fundamentals of Linux scripting languages; Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
- Must be able to participate in 24/7 incident response
- Experience with version control; specifically Git and GitHub
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package!
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide free comprehensive health/dental insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans!
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etcetera
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab!
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.