Linode is working to simplify the way people work in the cloud. We currently host hundreds of thousands of virtual machines and petabytes of data for our customers around the world. In this role, you will work on some of our most interesting challenges and help us bring new products to the market. You will be able to identify and eliminate performance bottlenecks, be the Linux guru of the product development team, and intimately understand the overall software stack that makes us tick - including a deep understanding of the Linux kernel, KVM, QEMU, and networking.
We're a closely-knit team with a focus on agile development and innovative solutions. We encourage and reward curiosity, ingenuity, and technical excellence. If you enjoy working on ambitious projects that have a big impact, you'll enjoy working at Linode!
Here are some of the technologies used by our teams, you don’t have to have experience with all of these, but you should have experience with some of them and an interest to learn others:
- OS: Linux, preferably Debian derived distributions
- Coding Languages: Go, Python, Perl, Bash, C
- Infrastructure as Code: Docker, Kubernetes, SaltStack, Vault, Terraform
- Version Control: Git
- Virtualization: KVM, QEMU, general VM architecture
- Database: MySQL
- Frameworks: SQLAchemy, Flask
- Networking Protocols: TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP/S, and BGP
- Prior working experience in software development and/or systems engineering
- Writes consistently good and maintainable code, and needs little syntax/convention feedback.
- Ability to work on multiple small-to-medium-sized projects concurrently with little oversight and a high level of autonomy.
- Possesses most key proficiencies required for the role in addition to real-world experience to be independently productive; strong ability to learn and grow in areas which may not be present
- Effective in communicating progress, asking for and implementing feedback about self, takes ownership and accountability of assigned projects
- Takes responsibility for the customer-impacting performance of systems on which they work as well as team practices which may impact productivity; ability to communicate recommendations to the leadership team effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent working experience
- Contributions to open-source projects as well as your own projects
- Experience designing system architecture
- Knowledge of servers, switches, and various infrastructure management solutions
- Experience in a hosting environment or other IAAS or SAAS provider
- Knowledge in API design with Python: SQLAlchemy, Flask
- Knowledge in using distributed products like Ceph, Galera, Kubernetes
Work With Us
- Philadelphia Office: HQ is one of the coolest tech buildings in Philly; join us on N3RD street! (https://www.linode.com/press-release/past-meets-future-in-old-city-philadelphia/
- Flexible work hours: We have remote work options, flexible start times, and a very generous paid time off package.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A MacBook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person who we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.