Linode is currently looking for a Vice President of Engineering to champion the growth of our people and the products we develop. Reporting directly to Linode’s CEO, you are a people leader first with the ability to recruit, coach, inspire, and retain high performing collaborative teams while promoting and shaping organizational culture. The Vice President of Engineering is a high profile role that is responsible for developing and maintaining a long-term product strategy that enables Linode to deliver world-class products.
We expect you to work in alignment with our CEO in both the architectural decisions as well as long term strategic product and resource planning. You will be measured upon your ability to bring product strategy to life through superb customer experience, product stability, and customer adoption.
Because of the nature of this role and style at Linode, we are seeking a strategic thinker who can run a large scale function, but comes from a technical background and can help guide product architecture decisions.
- Guides and coaches managers and peer-level department heads in a fashion that supports the company’s culture, mission, and values and in alignment with business strategy.
- Foster an environment of empowerment and learning by providing mentorship and coaching.
- Drive the company’s technical advancement via leading a software engineering, quality assurance, DevOps, and UI/UX organization.
- Direct, review, or approve product design changes.
- Confer with leadership, project managers, or other staff to discuss project specifications, contribute to architectural decisions or execution plans.
- Assess product viability by analyzing technology, resource needs, and market demand.
- Direct resource planning, recruitment, placement, and ongoing performance management of engineering project staff.
- Develop or implement policies, standards, or procedures for engineering and technical work.
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, and networking concepts.
- Experienced leading large-scale multi-disciplined technical teams.
- Experience in Software or Infrastructure as a Service.
- Understanding and familiarity with the fundamentals of programming/scripting languages; Bash, Python, Go, Perl, etc.
- Drives good design practice and discipline in product development throughout the entire software development lifecycle; Agile/Scrum, Test Driven Development (TDD), Behavioral Driven Development (BDD).
- Extensive leadership and strategic experience in a related field.
- Experience in, or strong familiarity with the Cloud Computing industry.
- Experience working and building relationships with the open-source community.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Computer Engineering, or a related degree.
Work With Us
- Philadelphia Office: HQ is one of the coolest tech buildings in Philly; join us on N3RD street! (https://www.linode.com/press-release/past-meets-future-in-old-city-philadelphia/
- Flexible work hours: We have remote work options, flexible start times, and a very generous paid time off package.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A MacBook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person who we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.