Working as a Systems Engineer - Database at Linode involves managing infrastructure for the largest independent open cloud provider in the world. We have 10+ global data centers, thousands upon thousands of physical machines, and we aim to deliver a world-class experience to customers. To uphold these standards Linode must remain creative as it relates to solving problems and technological innovation.
As we continue to grow, we’re looking for passionate, highly skilled Systems Engineers to drive automation & operational excellence and support product development for our customer fleet. This will require creative thinking combined with deep domain expertise on Linux, DevOps, and System Administration.
To find success in this role, you are a natural problem solver and a motivated individual. Someone who lives to put out fires before they start and continuously improves upon the operational posture our customers have come to love and expect. Most of all, you’re generally curious and thrive when presented with an opportunity to learn something new.
You don’t have to have experience with all of these, but you should have experience with some of them and an interest to learn the others:
- Database Technologies - MySQL/MariaDB, SQLite, Percona toolkit
- Linux and Virtualization - Debian, KVM, and QEMU
- Alerting & Metrics - Nagios, Prometheus, ELK, Grafana, Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM)
- Hardware - Provisioning and deploying servers, switches, and infrastructure management solutions
- Orchestration - SaltStack, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer
- Infrastructure Services - DHCP, DNS, SSL, NTP
- Programming Languages - Python, Perl, Golang, Bash
- Version Control - Git, GitHub
The must haves:
- Professional experience in a Database Administrator role, preferably working with highly available systems
- Ability to perform query tuning, performance troubleshooting, and offer schema recommendations
- Ability to design complex and optimized queries for product data sources and reporting
- Experience with designing and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Proficiency with implementing monitoring for system health and performance
- Knowledge of high availability and disaster recovery functionality
- Experience with database backup and recovery methodologies and tools
- Experience with designing database infrastructure at scale, including specifying and procuring hardware
- Comfort maintaining and updating live production systems
- Superb communication, organization, and documentation abilities
- Ability to work with a team or solo on various projects.
- Ability to work in an agile organization
- Strong hardware and systems automation skills
- Ability to participate to Linode’s 24/7 incident response on-call rotation, including being responsive and available to quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Ability to thrive in a self-disciplined environment and balance multiple projects and tasks.
- Demonstrated ability and passion for staying abreast of current and emerging technologies and industry trends
- Familiarity with best practices of systems architecture, design, and high-performance tuning
- Experience in a hosting environment or other cloud-based IAAS or SAAS
- Presence in the open-source world. Contributions to open-source projects as well as your own portfolio to show off a huge plus
Work With Us
- Philadelphia Office: HQ is one of the coolest tech buildings in Philly; join us on N3RD street!
- Flexible work hours: We offer a flexible work schedule, a generous paid time off package, and two work from home days on a weekly basis.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person who we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.