Working as a Systems Engineer at Linode involves managing infrastructure for the largest independent open cloud provider in the world. We have 10 global data centers, thousands upon thousands of physical machines, and we aim to deliver a world-class experience to customers. To uphold these standards Linode must remain creative as it relates to solving problems and technological innovation.
As we continue to grow, we’re looking for a passionate, highly-skilled, hardware-focused Systems Engineer to develop the next generation of hardware technologies and improve on our existing hardware technologies. We need an “outside the box” thinker who can ensure our hardware is the fastest on the market today, and will also maintain the roadmap for future Linode hardware. This will require creative thinking combined with deep domain expertise on Linux, hardware components, and performance tuning.
To find success in this role, you are a natural problem solver and a motivated individual. You are someone who is conscious of uptime and stability while living on the bleeding edge of hardware. Most of all, you’re generally curious and thrive when presented with an opportunity to learn something new.
You don’t have to have experience with all of these, but you should have experience with some of them and an interest to learn the others:
- Linux and Tools - Debian, NUMA, resource allocation, CPU pinning, hyperthreading, cgroups
- Kernel - Debugging, Tuning, Configuring, Building
- Hardware - Components, Benchmarking, RAID
- Data Center Engineering - Provisioning and deploying servers, storage, and networking solutions
- Scripting / Automation - SaltStack, Python, Bash, etc.
- Infrastructure Services - DHCP, DNS, SSL, NTP, etc.
- Alerting & Metrics - Nagios, Prometheus, ELK, Grafana
- Version Control - Git, GitHub
- Professional experience in a Systems Engineering role, preferably working with and maintaining large production distributed systems
- Keep abreast of new component releases and trends and make recommendations that influence the Linode hardware roadmap
- Have a good understanding of the Linux Kernel and experience with compiling and tweaking kernel for performance/stability
- Create, improve, and maintain testing and burn-in scripts/programs and procedures
- Perform, compile, and interpret hardware and software benchmarks using industry-standard tools
- Make component and configuration recommendations based on workload and benchmark results
- Experience with hardware and systems automation
- Create the specification for new hardware builds
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to participate in Linode’s 24/7 incident response on-call rotation, including being responsive and available to quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Familiarity with best practices of systems architecture, design, and high-performance tuning
- Experience with KVM/QEMU or similar virtualization technologies
- Experience architecting large scale database server hardware
- Experience with racking and stacking hardware
- Experience in a hosting environment or other cloud-based IAAS or SAAS
- Presence in the open-source world. Contributions to open-source projects as well as your own portfolio to show off is a huge plus
- Ability to work in an agile organization
Work With Us
- Philadelphia Office: HQ is one of the coolest tech buildings in Philly; join us on N3RD street!
- Flexible work hours: We offer a flexible work schedule, a generous paid time off package, and two work from home days on a weekly basis.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from eleven data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.