Linode’s Director of Project management is an exciting, high-profile role that will be essential for liaising between senior leadership, project management, and technical stakeholders. In this role, you will be directly responsible for the efficient delivery of projects and products that will impact hundreds of thousands of end-users being served out of our global data centers.
In this role, you will lead efforts to develop innovative projects that bring Linode strategy to life by working across departments and teams to bring all of the pieces and people together. As part of the team, you will need a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and be ready to manage big complex problems across a cross-functional matrix environment, but still keep an eye on the little details that make a project or program from good to great.
Reporting directly to our CTO, you will be one of the key stakeholders for product roadmap execution, resource planning and cross-departmental alignment. You will be the cornerstone of planning decisions within the larger company strategy. Because of the nature of this role and style at Linode, we are seeking a strategic thinker who can run a large-scale function, but comes from a technical background and can thoroughly understand the intricacies of the technologies we work with every day.
- Manage the full project lifecycle with autonomy and minimal supervision - from planning to project deployment
- Drive the company’s product roadmap by aligning technical resources, project stakeholders, and owning project progress
- Assume accountability for project timelines; Ensure interdependencies across projects are identified effectively, establish performance targets for department and individual contributors, and regularly review and evaluate opportunities to improve company’s project process
- Build and support a high functioning project management organization through mentorship and coaching
- Align with leadership, project managers, or other staff to prioritize projects, discuss project specifications, and define execution plans
- Provide recommendations around resource planning, recruitment, placement, and ongoing performance management of engineering staff to meet project goals
- Provide frequent and transparent updates, manage sponsor expectations, and keep all stakeholders informed of the progress of all projects
- Ensure interdependencies across programs/projects are identified effectively and risks are managed preemptively
- Create, maintain and manage timelines and/or roadmaps for projects, backlogs, feedback requests, and other initiatives.
- Manage our implementation of Jira and KB (Confluence) for team(s)
- 8+ years of progressive experience managing projects as well as large-scale teams with and at least 2 years of leadership experience
- Experience managing complex IT infrastructure and software development projects
- Exhibit strong team leadership and decision-making skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Deep understanding of project management, workflow, infrastructure, overall project lifecycles, and management methodologies/styles
Nice to haves
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus
- Experience in, or strong familiarity with the Cloud Computing industry
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, and networking concepts
- Understanding and familiarity with the fundamentals of scripting languages; Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
- Extensive leadership and strategic experience in a related field
Work With Us
- Headquartered in one of the coolest buildings in Philadelphia, Linode has plenty of inviting office space to work from, plus remote work options for most positions.
- Work/Life Balance: We have flexible work hours, remote work options, and a very generous paid time off package including volunteer time off and even a paid day off on your birthday!
- Your health matters: We cover up to 90% of medical premiums plus pay for 100% of out of pocket costs that insurance doesn’t take care of.
- Retirement benefits: Linode provides a range of retirement benefits including contributions to your 401k plan, a generous profit sharing plan, and a pension plan.
- Your family is important to us! Employees may benefit from fully paid parental leave, company sponsored 529(c) savings plans, and family-friendly company events.
- Our benefits to support your wellbeing include fully paid access to online mental wellness programs through AbleTo for you and your family, $100 monthly wellness reimbursements, as well as a robust EAP (employee assistance plan) offering
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile. The compensation range for this position is between $120,000 to $160,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary could vary outside of this range based on your specific skills and experience. Employees may also qualify for a bonus on top of base salary depending on company and individual performance.
- Take a look at our careers site for a full listing of benefits: https://www.linode.com/company/careers/benefits
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from data centers in regions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.