Linode is working to simplify the way people work in the cloud. We currently host hundreds of thousands of virtual machines and petabytes of data for our customers around the world. In this role, you will work on some of our most interesting challenges and help us bring new products to the market. You will help to bring new networking technologies into our infrastructure, identify and eliminate performance bottlenecks, and intimately understand the overall software stack that makes us tick - including a deep understanding of nftables, ebtabes, bgp routing, and qemu.
We're a closely-knit team with a focus on agile development and innovative solutions. We encourage and reward curiosity, ingenuity, and technical excellence. If you enjoy working on ambitious projects that have a big impact, you'll enjoy working at Linode!
Here are some of the technologies used by our teams, you don’t have to have experience with all of these, but you should have experience with some of them and an interest to learn others:
- OS: Linux, preferably Debian derived distributions
- Coding Languages: Go, Python, Perl, Bash, C
- Networking: TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP/S, ntf/nftables, and BGP
- Infrastructure as Code: Docker, Kubernetes, SaltStack, Vault, Terraform
- Version Control: Git
- Virtualization: KVM, QEMU, general VM architecture
- Database: MySQL
- Prior working experience in network software development and/or systems engineering
- Writes consistently good and maintainable code, and needs little syntax/convention feedback.
- Ability to work on multiple small-to-medium-sized projects concurrently with little oversight and a high level of autonomy.
- Possesses most key proficiencies required for the role in addition to real-world experience to be independently productive; strong ability to learn and grow in areas that may not be present
- Effective in communicating progress, asking for and implementing feedback about self, takes ownership and accountability of assigned projects
- Takes responsibility for the customer-impacting performance of systems on which they work as well as team practices which may impact productivity; ability to communicate recommendations to the leadership team effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent working experience
- Contributions to open-source projects as well as your own projects
- Experience designing system architecture
- Knowledge of servers, switches, and various infrastructure management solutions
- Experience in a hosting environment or other IAAS or SAAS provider
- Knowledge in API design with Python: SQLAlchemy, Flask
- Knowledge in using distributed products like Ceph, Galera, Kubernetes
Work With Us
- Headquartered in one of the coolest buildings in Philadelphia, Linode has plenty of inviting office space to work from, plus remote work options for most positions.
- Work/Life Balance: We have flexible work hours, remote work options, and a very generous paid time off package including volunteer time off and even a paid day off on your birthday!
- Your health matters: We cover up to 90% of medical premiums plus pay for 100% of out of pocket costs that insurance doesn’t take care of.
- Retirement benefits: Linode provides a range of retirement benefits including contributions to your 401k plan, a generous profit sharing plan, and a pension plan.
- Your family is important to us! Employees may benefit from fully paid parental leave, company sponsored 529(c) savings plans, and family-friendly company events.
- Our benefits to support your wellbeing include fully paid access to online mental wellness programs through AbleTo for you and your family, $100 monthly wellness reimbursements, as well as a robust EAP (employee assistance plan) offering
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile. The compensation range for this position is between $80,000 to $120,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary could vary outside of this range based on your specific skills and experience. Employees may also qualify for a bonus on top of base salary depending on company and individual performance.
- Take a look at our careers site for a full listing of benefits: https://www.linode.com/company/careers/benefits/
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person we interact with feels like they belong and have the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.