Working as a Senior Systems Engineer at Linode involves managing infrastructure for the largest independent open cloud provider in the world. We have 10 global data centers, thousands upon thousands of physical machines, and we aim to deliver a world-class experience to customers. To uphold these standards Linode must remain creative as it relates to solving problems and technological innovation.
As we continue to grow, we’re looking for a passionate, highly skilled Senior Systems Engineer to drive automation & operational excellence and support product development for our customer fleet. This will require creative thinking combined with deep domain expertise on Linux, DevOps, and System Administration.
You don’t have to have experience with all of these, but you should have experience with some of them and an interest to learn the others:
- Linux and Virtualization: Debian, KVM, and QEMU
- Database Technologies: MySQL, SQLite
- Orchestration: SaltStack, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer
- Infrastructure Services: DHCP, DNS, SSL, NTP
- Programming Languages: Python, Perl, Golang, Bash
- Alerting & Metrics: Nagios, Prometheus, ELK, Grafana, Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM)
- Version Control: Git, GitHub
- Hardware: Provisioning and deploying servers, switches, and infrastructure management solutions
The must haves:
- Professional experience in a DevOps, Development, or SysAdmin role, preferably working with large scale distributed systems.
- Experience running mission-critical Linux servers in virtualized environments
- Experience with designing software and infrastructure at scale
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfort maintaining live production systems
- Ability to work in an agile organization
- Experience with hardware and systems automation
- Ability to participate to Linode’s 24/7 incident response on-call rotation, including being
responsive and available to quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Familiarity with best practices of systems architecture, design, and high-performance tuning
- Experience in a hosting environment or other cloud-based IAAS or SAAS
- Presence in the open-source world. Contributions to open-source projects as well as your own portfolio to show off a huge plus
Work With Us
- Headquartered in one of the coolest buildings in Philadelphia, Linode has plenty of inviting office space to work from, plus remote work options for most positions.
- Work/Life Balance: We have flexible work hours, remote work options, and a very generous paid time off package including volunteer time off and even a paid day off on your birthday!
- Your health matters: We cover up to 90% of medical premiums plus pay for 100% of out of pocket costs that insurance doesn’t take care of.
- Retirement benefits: Linode provides a range of retirement benefits including contributions to your 401k plan, a generous profit sharing plan, and a pension plan.
- Your family is important to us! Employees may benefit from fully paid parental leave, company sponsored 529(c) savings plans, and family-friendly company events.
- Our benefits to support your wellbeing include fully paid access to online mental wellness programs through AbleTo for you and your family, $100 monthly wellness reimbursements, as well as a robust EAP (employee assistance plan) offering
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile. The compensation range for this position is between $110,000 to $140,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary could vary outside of this range based on your specific skills and experience. Employees may also qualify for a bonus on top of base salary depending on company and individual performance.
- Take a look at our careers site for a full listing of benefits: https://www.linode.com/company/careers/benefits/
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.