Linode’s Data Center Operations team is responsible for the planning, installation, repairs, upgrades, configuration, and maintenance of Linode’s hardware. Additional responsibilities include maintaining correspondence with data center technicians, keeping up with equipment availability levels based on demand, shipping and receiving, deploying new equipment, and retiring depreciated equipment as necessary. The Data Center Operations team also plays a crucial role in hardware infrastructure management such as server rack planning, equipment tracking and documentation, software and firmware upgrades, forecasting, etc.
Linode is now seeking an enthusiastic Data Center Operations Engineer. This person will have a genuine passion for all things hardware and will be well-versed in a server environment. The ideal candidate will have NOC experience, and will have both hands-on and remote experience maintaining a server environment. This individual will have working knowledge of Linux and computer networking experience.
Primary Job Functions
- Continuously monitor and maintain eleven worldwide data centers, networks, and servers
- Deploy and repair servers, storage systems, routers and switches, and other hardware
- On-site and remote installation of hardware and cabling
- Interact with datacenter NOCs via telephone, email, web portal, etc
- Infrastructure planning in a globally-reaching data center environment
- Respond to demand by shipping and receiving of servers, networking equipment, remote power consoles, etc. to maintain availability and reliability of Linode’s network
- Ensure peak performance by installing and maintaining firmware and software
- BA/BS in computer science or equivalent field preferred
- Experience in a NOC environment with hands-on hardware experience a plus
- Knowledge of computer hardware and networking equipment
- Robust troubleshooting skills; preferably in a large-scale data center environment
- Linux system administration experience a plus
- Automation and scripting experience preferred
- Professional problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to travel to our worldwide data centers; minimum mandatory travel time 15%
Work With Us
- Headquartered in one of the coolest buildings in Philadelphia, Linode has plenty of inviting office space to work from, plus remote work options for most positions.
- Work/Life Balance: We have flexible work hours, remote work options, and a very generous paid time off package including volunteer time off and even a paid day off on your birthday!
- Your health matters: We cover up to 90% of medical premiums plus pay for 100% of out of pocket costs that insurance doesn’t take care of.
- Retirement benefits: Linode provides a range of retirement benefits including contributions to your 401k plan, a generous profit sharing plan, and a pension plan.
- Your family is important to us! Employees may benefit from fully paid parental leave, company sponsored 529(c) savings plans, and family-friendly company events.
- Our benefits to support your wellbeing include fully paid access to online mental wellness programs through AbleTo for you and your family, $100 monthly wellness reimbursements, as well as a robust EAP (employee assistance plan) offering
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile. The compensation range for this position is between $55,000 to $70,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary could vary outside of this range based on your specific skills and experience. Employees may also qualify for a bonus on top of base salary depending on company and individual performance.
- Take a look at our careers site for a full listing of benefits: https://www.linode.com/company/careers/benefits/
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.